Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Why Barista?

I always get the question why become a barista? Why not do something else?

So let me tell you a story first  about my background. You see, I wanted to be Doctor when i was in high school. Don't all of us had that dream. Sigh. Anyways, fast forward to college life, I did not get the results that is good enough to pursue my dreams. So I studied the closest that I can get to become a doctor. I studied to become a Physiotherapist. It's no glam title like Dr Munirah but it was good because I still get to treat people. I became one for 3 years. And then I quit.

I quit my job and became a barista after that. Where do I start? Starbucks Lingkaran Karak. I was a part timer there. I worked as a barista for about 6 months. And then I joined this cafe that I'm currently working in. Didie's Kitchen and Coffee. I learned from the basic of making coffee to what I'm able to produce today. And I owe it all to Masa-san. Yeah, I learned how to make awesome coffee from a Japanese. Because aside from my coffee, Masa-san's coffee is how I describe to-die-for-coffee-because-it-is-always-nice. Trust me.

Okay,back to the question. People who knows me from being a physiotherapist asked me why would I became something else after all that study? My answer is, why can't I? Being a barista is as respectable as any other job in the world. And I enjoyed that. I also enjoyed treating people but when you make something and serve it to people and get to change their perception of coffee always taste bitter, you feel like you achieved something.

And i get to challenge myself in a new area. An uncharted water. Who would've thought that me, Munirah, get to be the 2nd runner up of Malaysia's 2017 SPECIALTY COFFEE BREWER  KO TOURNAMENT? There were 72 contestants and I placed 3rd out of them all. Yeah, I did that😊



First place got RM 6000. That could have paid for my Japan trip.😐


The top 3 get to perform again a week later at Beans Depot cafe for public to 
taste our coffee. 

No comments:

Post a Comment